More than ever, cybersecurity professionals need to communicate effectively, whether you’re talking to your team, at a conference, or to the board of directors. Here is a secret: when you learn to tell a story, that is when your presentations will generate real results. Today’s guest tells you why and shares some tips and tools to help you make your next presentation capture the board’s attention and get the results you need. Pat Quinn is a speech coach, professional consultant, and speaker. As a former professional magician, he learned the art of commanding a stage early in his career, and, with an advanced degree in brain research, Pat understands how adults learn new information. As a consultant and speaker, he has keynoted some of the biggest conferences and spoken to audiences from around the world. In this episode, he highlights the key elements of effective presentations, explains why stories are more powerful than facts, and shares some incredible tools that you can use to make it easier for you, plus a special discount code, so make sure to tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Pat shares a bit more about effective presentations and the power of stories versus facts.
- How stories are processed differently by the human brain than facts or sales pitches.
- Using story to make a pitch for funding; the value of telling an ordinary, relatable story.
- A tool Pat has developed to help capture and organize all his stories: StoryLinq.
- Many people are intimidated by a blank sheet of paper; create personal touch-points!
- Pat talks about the training feature in StoryLinq and the value of a founder story.
- The structure of a great story; 60 seconds for the “before”, 30 seconds for the “pivot”, and 60 seconds for the “after”.
- The importance of telling a simple, personal story; Pat shares a practical example.
- How you can use a story to move up in your company or get a promotion.
- Why Pat believes that storytelling is a currency of the future.
- Hear his personal story about the power of storytelling and how it has changed his life.
- Your personal brand is your story, because relevant anecdotes happen to you everyday!
- Pat encourages listeners to keep telling stories; when you tell your stories, other people know they are not alone.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Pat Quinn on LinkedIn
Flameproof: How to Flameproof Your Career and Your Life and Handle Adversity Like a Boss
MOJO Maker for Womxn in Tech on Facebook
MOJO Maker for Womxn in Tech on Instagram
MOJO Maker for Womxn in Tech on LinkedIn